Thursday, December 27, 2012

No Sew Fleece Blanket

Tis the time of the year for gift giving. Like most, I was unsure of what to get my boyfriend for Christmas. He had mentioned something about a blanket among the things he had suggested. I told him that I had no idea how to do one and told him to continue with suggestions. However, I thought the blanket idea was a great one. I looked around on the Internet and came upon ideas on Pinterest. I found a post that was really helpful in making the blanket on Wifessionals

This is a great project to do because you don't need a sewing machine and it doesn't take much time. 

Step 1:  Buy your fabric

I bought 2 pieces of fleece fabric online at Joann Fabric & Craft Stores. Most of the fabric I looked at was on sale, which is great because it can definitely get pricey. I bought 3 yards of each piece, camo and orange. (He loves hunting and orange is his favorite color.)

Step 2:  Layer your fabric

Make sure to have you soft sides facing outward. First, lay down the piece that will be used as the back. Then, lay down the other piece on top of it (again soft sides facing outward). Cut off any ugly edges or excess fabric and make sure both pieces are even. 

Step 3:  Cut out 5" x 5" squares at each corner

This step is important because it determines the length for the ties. You don't want them to be too short/long.

Step 4:  Cut 1" (width) strips around the entire blanket

The thicker your strips are, the harder it is to tie them together. I didn't have much room to work with... so many of my strips were different widths and didn't match up exactly with the 5" length. It definitely made the tying process a bit harder and not as neat.

Step 5:  Tie your 'flat' knots

Don't just tie a normal knot. Take a look at the 'knot tutorial' picture on the Wifessionals post because its really explanatory and I didn't take any pictures of this part. Once you look at the picture, its really easy to do. It makes the knots flatter and they look nice.

Step 6:  Wash your blanket & enjoy

I washed my blanket afterwards and it turned out great. The final look was a bit more rounded since not all of my cuts were equal. Not too bad for my first attempt at a no sew blanket, if I do say so myself.

My boyfriend loved his blanket. He already wants another one just to have. Haha.



I also made him honey cookies again. I used the same recipe as last year. You can find it here. The only differences to the recipe this year is that I used a mixer, which made a huge difference (for the better), and I drizzled honey on the tops right out of the oven. Personally, I thought they were much better than last year. Definitely check out the honey bee cookies recipe.


Hope everyone had a merry Christmas! I know I did.

1 comment:

  1. I love it!!

    Thank you for the shoutout. It turned out great (:

    Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete